In the sea of beauty products in the store, one mysteriously stands out – facial toner. You may ask yourself, what is the function of the toner? Should I buy it? Well, in a nutshell, facial toners are usually designed to enhance skin’s surface, temporarily tighten and nourish skin, and naturally remove any last traces of impurities, oil, makeup and chlorines that resulted from washing your face with tap water.
Skin is exposed to outside elements such as sun, dust, wind and other impurities during the course of the day. When you wash your face with water or soap, your skin’s PH balance will change to more alkaline, causing skin to become drier and more sensitive. Healthy skin should maintain the PH balance of 5.5 – more on the acidic side, also known as the “acid mantle.” Acid mantle is a thin shield that helps maintain a barrier to fight harmful, free radicals that can speed up the aging process. Toners can provide proper hydration and restore PH balance.
How to Choose
It is important to read the ingredients list to make the right choice for your skin.
Oily Skin: If your skin is oily and/or prone to acne, you may need to choose a toner with a stringent formula. These types of toners contain potent ingredients to ease the problem. Normally a good toner is able to restore PH balance, nourish and calm skin.
Feeling Stresed? If you have a stressful life (and who doesn’t?), skin is more prone to dryness and inflammation. Choose a toner with ingredients such as calming chamomile, or contains Arnica – which not only reduces redness and inflammation but is known to work wonders with acne.
Need Hydration? Look for ingredients that deliver water to cells directly such as hyaluronic acid, glycerin or Aloe.
There are different, pretty straight-forward ways to apply toner.
- Some people like to spray or sprinkle it onto their face – don’t forget to close your eyes;
- Some may apply it to their hands and tap gently all over their face;
- And finally, others apply a moderate amount of toner to a cotton ball or pad, then swipe it gently all over the face and neck in upward motion.
- Always use toner after washing your face and before applying moisturizer or serum.
- You never want to help gravity by applying in a downward motion, always upward.